Tuesday, January 23, 2007

True Love

The last couple of days I have been thinking about what love means in the context of a Christian's life. This subject has been turning in my head for the fact that it is one of the hardest part of a person's life to show. Especially, I feel for Christians, because we have the world pulling and swaying us against showing and learning what true love is. Love is not just in how we feel. Yet, it is our action towards others. It is wonderful to feel the warm, fuzzy love, but it is even more wonderful to feel the love of helping another or having a person show love through their attitudes. Because is the fuzzy love going to stay by you during the hard times? Have patience when your grouchy? Care what you look like? A verse that always comes to mind and has helped me get through many situations is
I Corinthians 13:1-13, "Though I speak with the tongues of men and of angels, but have not love, I have become sounding brass or a clanging cymbal. And though I have the gift of prophecy, and understand all mysteries and all knowledge, and though I have all faith, so that I could remove mountains, but have not love, I am nothing. And though I bestow all my goods to feed the poor, and though I give my body to be burned,but have not love, it profits me nothing.Love suffers long and is kind; love does not envy; love does not parade itself, is not puffed up; does not behave rudely, does not seek its own, is not provoked, thinks no evil;does not rejoice in iniquity, but rejoices in the truth; bears all things, believes all things, hopes all things, endures all things. Love never fails. But whether there are prophecies, they will fail; whether there are tongues, they will cease; whether there is knowledge, it will vanish away. For we know in part and we prophesy in part. But when that which is perfect has come, then that which is in part will be done away.
When I was a child, I spoke as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child; but when I became a man, I put away childish things. For now we see in a mirror, dimly, but then face to face. Now I know in part, but then I shall know just as I also am known. And now abide faith, hope, love, these three; but the greatest of these is love."

This verse I believe speaks what love is about clearly. This was again brought to my heart this week, because I saw people all around me showing the love of Christ. Through even the smallest ways like giving a hug. Also, I felt that no matter the stress, or how busy I get. I need to make time to show love, because Christ makes time for me everyday anytime I need Him. His love gives me the power to keep loving others.

2 comments:

Jonathan Erdman said...

Yea. I agree.

Love is definitely an effort thing.

Love is also kind of an ideal that we never seem to live up to. Realistically there is nobody who lives up to 1 Cor. 13 in all the ways at all times. But it is so important becaue it gives us something to shoot for.

It also helps us forgive others when they fail to love us b/c we know that we have failed to live up to the ideal as well....

Anonymous said...

I agree fully Jon! No, no one ever does live up to I Cor. 13, but is more an encouragement and a guideline.
I agree that it does help us with forgiveness.

Those statements are great, Jon. I hadn't thought of forgiveness with I Cor. 13, but I see your point clearly!